CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 8, 2008

First finished DIY project


So I have many DIY projects started but I had none finished. I believe this is the number one benefit of the long engagement though. I do have time for DIY projects that would have never ended up at the wedding at all. So here it is: DIY cake topper. The cake topper is really more adorable in person! a few of the details didn't show up as well.

I will also acknowledge that this isn't the main cake topper. Mr. Engagement has very few ideas that he has gotten excited about. One of them is to have our cake table be decorated with multiple cake toppers. My mom at first snubbed the idea, but I said, "mr. engagement wants it. This is his idea." Now that is cute so she has been more on board about it. Plus, there are soooo many lovely cake toppers I get a little slice of everything! YUMMM. But I do warn, this is costly! I could probably have one really AWESOME topper for the cost of all these individual ones, but now everyone one of my future daughters will have her choice of a topper :). The cake table I plan is a long dessert buffet similar to a charlie and the chocolate factory fantasy, so its a "love is sweet" theme. I hate themes though, but I will place a sign on the table. Kind of an different take on this look from MS 2007:


Plus this look



Hopefully, my mother will have her cake topper and I can find a few other vintage ones.

With this in mind, I have pre-ordered several toppers; I have my mother working on the main topper and I took to making another one. Originally, I thought these toppers were...well, how do I saw it delicately?... UGGG. Modeled from the patch NYC cake toppers for a shocking $500, I thought how hideous. Maybe the pricetage was part of the ugliness. But if Martha likes them maybe they aren't sooo bad. I have since seen numerous knock off and I thought.... Well, Im bored, I need more toppers, I'll give it a go. So for less than $20 here is the finished product. The bride's ensemble cost about $3.00. Both her veil and her dress came from the scrapbooking aisle! Premade, bows, beadwork, layered tulle--A very good deal! No bride was ever so smashing for less :) The grooms shirt and bow tie were also found in the scrapbooking aisle. Next, the groom's suit is just wrapped ribbon $1.99. The base is a wooden base $.59 and painted gold. The flowers and the embellishments were all on clearance at Micheals for $1 for a bunch. The pearls also on clearance for a few dollars and I strung them on white pipe cleaners to shape them. The wooden balls for the head were toy wheels 1" for $2.99 for like 20 heads, and painted with adorable faces. The groom's hat is a monopoly piece painted black. I may go without the hat though.


What do you think? What DIY projects have you been able to get done?

0 comments: